RISE UP Calgary Song Contest
December 9, 2020
RISE UP Calgary is searching for a produced original song, written and performed by a local artist, to be licensed and performed for ongoing RISE UP initiatives. The song should embody the resilience and spirit of the City of Calgary. Apply below!
- Contest opens December 15th and closes January 15, 2021 @4:30PM MST
- Four finalists to be announced January 22, 2021
- Finalists play in a live paid showcase on January 28, 2021 at the HotelsLive show – Arrival & Dreams !
- Winning song announced January 29, 2021
- Song to be showcased as RISE UP’s “theme song” from January 29, 2021-December 31, 2021 for all RISE UP Calgary initiatives
- Performance opportunities for the winning artist throughout 2021
- Should represent the collaborative strength, resilience, support and spirit of the people of Calgary during these difficult times
- Should demonstrate how we will “RISE UP” together as we move forward towards economic recovery
- Must be written and performed by a Calgary-based artist
- Must already be produced
- Can be any genre and will be considered whether you are an aspiring or established artist
- The master recording, and all licensing and publishing rights, of the submitted song must belong to the submitting artist
- The top four finalists will receive a paid ($500) showcase to perform their song on January 28, 2021 at a live performance
- The winner receives $5000 cash in compensation for use of the original song by RISE UP (Please review song contest submission terms and conditions)
- The winner receives two days in NMC’s historic recording studios at Studio Bell, working with staff producer and engineer and one day of mixing and post-production for work on future projects
- The winning song will be showcased as RISE UP’s “theme Song” from January 29-December 31 2021 for all RISE UP Calgary initiatives, marketing and other purposes as required.
Submission terms and conditions:
To participate in the RISE UP Song Contest, artist(s) and song must meet the following requirements:
- Residency: Artists must be Calgary residents. Proof of residency may be requested. Failure to provide proof by deadline provided may result in disqualification.
- Artists may apply as an individual, duo, or band (the majority of the band must be Calgary residents i.e. 3 out of 4 members).
- Music Genre: All music genres may apply for the RISE UP Song contest.
- Age limit: Applicants of all ages may apply. Should an artist under the age of 18 be selected, a parent or legal guardian is required to sign the accompanying artist agreement.
- No cover songs shall be accepted. An original song must be written and performed by the artist.
- The song must be able to be performed acoustically.
- In addition to an mp4 file of the song, we will require the artist(s) photo, biography, a word document of submitted song lyrics, and a link to live performances.
- Selected artist must fill out Mechanical and Master Use License Waiver
Song Selection process:
- The winning song will be selected by a committee made up of music industry experts and RISE UP steering committee members.