ATB Financial is launching a new campaign themed around listening. To bring the creative concept of listening to life, they are looking for Albertan artists to perform in unexpected places, and to craft their own take on an original anthem song. The song, "Resonate” was written by Albertan musician Ben Spencer and is inspired by life in Alberta.
The anthem symbolizes people finding their way back home to Alberta and will act as a way for Albertans to celebrate the place they call home. (Lyrics can be found below)
ATB would like to give back to Albertan communities by engaging local artists to do what they do best—enriching the lives of all Albertans.
Artists will perform the anthem song, as well as approximately 30 minutes of their own material, in pop-up venues at high-traffic locations TBD (with quality sound and production values).
We will look to further promote your music through a streaming playlist.
There will be fair remuneration for participation in this project.
October 4th - 8th 2016
We want the cover of “Resonate” to embody Alberta and with that, we want to incorporate a range of locations in Alberta.
• Red Deer
• Grande Prairie
We are looking for artists of diverse styles and genres that would be interested in meeting the following criteria:
Please send us a brief note describing why you’d be a good fit for this project, as well as a link to an electronic press kit or website.
Learn and cover “Resonate” in their own music style (but in the key of Cmaj)
o “Resonate” will be performed live in a public space in front of an audience
o Artist will be filmed singing “Resonate”
o Content will be used by ATB for promotional purposes (may be used on ATB’s social media channels, in radio ads, digital ads etc.)
Additional Campaign Support:
• Artist support
o Posts on their social media channels (if applicable)
• Genre: Traditional Folk, Americana, Bluegrass, Blues, Celtic, Country, Singer/Songwriter, World, Rock, Reggae, Classical
• Entry is free for Alberta Music members; nonmembers must sign up for Alberta Music to submit entry (Alberta Music membership $45)
• Must be able to perform “Resonate” in a public space in front of an audience
• Must be comfortable being filmed singing “Resonate”
• Must be able to cover “Resonate” in their own style/genre
• Content will be used by ATB for promotional purposes (may be used on ATB’s social media channels, in radio ads, digital ads etc.)
• Artist’s original music may be used in an ATB sponsored streaming playlist
Background on songwriter:
• Ben Spencer has recently moved back to his home province of Alberta after spending the past decade in Montreal. He’s a songwriter, performer, and producer known for arresting lyricism and blazing guitar picking. He has recently appeared at the Calgary Folk Fest, Summerfolk, Folk Music Ontario (official showcase) and the Montreal Folk Fest on the Canal. His newest project, Songs for Terrible Children, is a musical political satire for kids. www.terriblesongs.com
Do you hear the sound
In the trembling ground
In the air, the wait so long
For the sole keepsake
Of an old heartache
Is a whisper, an echo, a song
I find my way back home by the birds and bones
By the westbound sun to a place I’m known
The streets will remember even if I don’t
I’ll find my way back home
Now a thorn finds place
In a torn shoelace
As green entwines the night
And the hymnal freights
Lead me on by sweet starlight
I find my way back home by the words and moans
By a promise made and a promise owed
As gravity pulls from a moonlit road
I’ll find my way back home