The JUNO Awards and Slaight Music announce the launch of the premier artist development opportunity in Canada, The Allan Slaight JUNO Master Class. This new initiative provides the crucial tools to help three finalists develop their careers, build their own sustainable business and become ‘JUNO ready’.
Deadline for submissions is Thursday, July 27, 2015 at 5:00 pm ET.
The inaugural ‘master class’ includes a week-long customized artist development program co-developed with Canada’s Music Incubator at Coalition Music. This development program provides hands-on mentoring, networking and collaboration opportunities.The Allan Slaight JUNO Master Class brings together the two key mandates of CARAS and The JUNO Awards: music education through MusiCounts and the celebration and promotion of excellence through the JUNO Awards. The program aims to foster the growth of Canadian musicians through mentorship, education, skills training, development and deal-making opportunities. With no submission fee needed to apply, the program requires that an active CARAS Academy Delegate endorse each applicant’s entry.
Three finalists will each receive:
• An all inclusive trip to Toronto for an intensive and customized artist development program with industry leaders and Canadian artists hosted by Canada’s Music Incubator at Coalition Music. The program (October 25–31) will culminate with a music industry showcase night in Toronto for the finalists.
• A trip to the 2016 JUNO Awards in Calgary, Alberta. Includes flights, hotels and JUNO Weekend packages, including tickets to the Welcome Reception, JUNO Gala Dinner & Awards and the live JUNO Awards Broadcast.
• Showcase opportunity at the JUNO Awards during JUNOfest - a two-day music festival during JUNO Weekend - PLUS a chance to perform for the Canadian music industry at the exclusive JUNO Gala Dinner & Awards.
• JUNO TV will film the finalist’s experience of the Master Class program, producing three mini-docs to run on junotv.ca. This series will be directed by MuchMusic Video Award winner and JUNO-nominated music video director Ben Knechtel.
• Studio time at Slaight Music Recording Studios.
• A cash investment in their music career and more.
To be eligible for the Allan Slaight JUNO Master Class program, candidates must meet all of the following criteria:
• Be a Canadian citizen(s).
• Released a minimum of two original singles within the eligibility period (January 1, 2014-July 15, 2015); EPs and albums are also eligible.
• Have never been previously recognized as a JUNO Award nominee either as a solo artist or as part of a group, even if this submission is a new solo project or band.
• Have not sold more than 5,000 albums/EPs or 50,000 singles according to Nielsen SoundScan.
• Must be 19 years of age or older on or before the program deadline.
• Must be available to travel to Toronto, ON for a maximum seven-day artist development program, taking place October 25-31, 2015 and to attend the JUNO Awards in Calgary, AB fromApril 1–3, 2016.
• Must have an active CARAS Academy Delegate endorse their submission.