For fans of: Sebadoh, Hot Water Music, Sonic Youth, Eric's Trip
Counterfeit Jeans’ biography:
Counterfeit Jeans formed in Edmonton in 2014. Within a few months they released a four-track EP, which gained positive responses across Canada and the US, leading to a string of shows and festival dates in their first year as a band.
“Their music is melodic, with serpentine guitar lines married to a driving rhythm section. This all results in a massive sound that you’d be shocked to know is made by only a group of three,” Sled Island Music Festival.
Counterfeit Jeans has been named one of Edmonton’s hidden gem bands on CBC; popped up on numerous “Best of” lists; received 2016 and 2017 Edmonton Music Award nominations, spent weeks on national campus charts, was shortlisted for the 2017 Edmonton Music Prize; was the first artist to appear on CKUA radio/Capital City Records’ podcast highlighting Edmonton-area music; and was number six on CJSR FM’s top 200 of 2016.
The band released their debut LP in Canada through Edmonton indie label, Sometimes Music and in the United States through Brooklyn indie label, Broken Circles in 2016.
Since forming the band has played Sled Island Music Festival, Up+Dt Music Festival, BIG Winter Classic, Bermuda Festival, Golden West Festival and played shows with bands from across North America including: Holy Fuck; Speedy Ortiz; The Pack AD; Our Mercury; Surf Dads; Radioactivity; The Wet Secrets; Moon King; Hurry Up; Faith Healer; I Hate Sex; Fury Things and many more.
What others have said about Counterfeit Jeans:
"The Nirvana comparison is appropriate throughout the writing. In the noisier moments there are hints of Sonic Youth and Dinosaur Jr, and the melodies are reminiscent of Lou Barlow's best moments with Sebadoh. Whether these are apt points of reference for the band or not, Counterfeit Jeans has made a record that sounds wildly fresh, breaking some heady ground on their full-length debut." - Mike Dunn, Beatroute
"Counterfeit Jeans, the album, is even more unsettling, explosive and vital than their four-song, self-titled EP which came out of nowhere and took Edmonton’s music scene by storm in 2015." - Sandra Sperounes Edmonton Journal – Polaris Music Prize
“Violence is one of the most unforgettable and spine-tingling songs of 2015. You’ll want, or even need, to play it over and over.” - Sandra Sperounes, Edmonton Journal – Polaris Music Prize
“Counterfeit Jeans' solid debut [EP] shows promise, leaving listeners eager for more.” – Lisa Sookraj, Exclaim!
- “[The EP] channels the easy, pared-down sound and intensity from the best alt-rockers into a solid, melodic demo tape that hopefully leads to more from this great young band.” - Jordyn Marcellus, Vue Weekly
- “With the ‘90s revival in full effect, it’s wonderful to hear a band taking their queues from the Jade Tree roster. The sometimes angular, soaring guitar and steady, driving drum work combined with confident, genuine vocals make the band powerful, but not overpowering.” - Sled Island Music Festival
- “Best new band in Edmonton.” - Craig Martell – Edmonton promoter
- “A band we’re crushing on.” - Golden West Music Festival
- “Best fucking thing I’ve heard all year.” - Ride The Tempo, Canadian music blog
- "Without hiding behind any flair or false pizzazz, the three piece show up with honest dedication to their music and always have fun doing it." - Brittany Rudyck, Shewritesaboutmusic
- "Dirt city's finest." - Danny Vacon, The Dudes/High Kicks
- “Jesus, this is good.” - Eamon McGrath
- “This EP is super rad.” - Doug Hoyer
Location: Edmonton, AB